Dr. Pete Accola received his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine in Madison, Wisconsin. He received his Masters of Veterinary Ocular Pathology and completed his residency at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in Athens, Georgia. Dr. Accola completed the Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship at VCA South Shore Animal Hospital in Weymouth, Massachusetts. He previously worked at Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital in Woburn, Massachusetts and Veterinary Emergency Service in Middleton, Wisconsin.
American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
American Veterinary Medical Association
Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association
1. Ellis AE, Mackey E, Moore PA, Divers SJ, Hensel P, Carmichael KP, Accola P, Brown J,Gottdenker N, Keel MK, Shock BC, Yabsley MJ. Debilitation and mortality associated with besnoitiosis in four Virginia opossums (Didelphis virginiana). J Zoo Wildl Med. 2012 Jun;43(2):367-74.
2. Mouney MC, Accola PJ, Cremer J, Shepard MK, Rodriguez Guarin C, Hofmeister EH. Effects of acepromazine maleate or morphine on tear production before, during, and after sevoflurane anesthesia in dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2011 Nov;72(11):1427-30.
3. Shepard MK, Accola PJ, Lopez LA, Shaughnessy MR, Hofmeister EH. Effect of duration and type of anesthetic on tear production in dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2011 May;72(5):608-12.
4. A.E. Ellis, K.P. Carmichael, C.A. Brown, P.M. Rakich, D.M. Miller, P. Accola. A Retrospective Study of Diffuse Iris Melanomas in Cats. Proceedings from the 60th annual meeting of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists; December 2009.
5. PJ Accola, PA Moore, KP Carmichael, JD Lauderdale. Anterior Segment Pathology and Corneal Wound Healing in Pax6 Heterozygote Mice. Proceedings from the 40th annual meeting of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists; November, 2009.
6. Hofmeister EH, Weinstein WL, Burger D, Brainard BM, Accola PJ, Moore PA. Effects of graded doses of propofol for anesthesia induction on cardiovascular parameters and intraocular pressures in normal dogs. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2009 Sep;36(5):442-8.
7. M.K. Shepard, P. Accola, L.A. Lopez, M.R. Shaughnessy and E.H. Hofmeister. Effect of duration and type of inhalant anesthetic on tear production in dogs. Proceedings from the 10th World Congress of Veterinary Anaesthesia. August, 2009.
8. Accola PJ, Moore PA, Carmichael KP, Lauderdale JD. Evaluation of Corneal Healing, Limbal Progenitor Cells, and Vascularization in Wounded Pax 6+/+ and Pax 6+/- Mice. Poster presentation: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology annual meeting; May, 2009.
9. EH Hofmeister, B Weinstein, D Burger, BM Brainard, P Accola, PA Moore. Effects of graded doses of propofol for anesthesia induction on cardiovascular parameters and intraocular pressures in normal dogs. Proceedings from the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists Autumn Conference; September, 2008.
10. Lauderdale JD, Kim J, Accola PJ, Moore PA. A New Grafting Technique for Corneal Reconstruction. Poster presentation: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology annual meeting; May, 2008.
11. Accola PJ, Bentley E, Smith LJ, Forrest LJ, Baumel C, Murphy CJ. Development of a retrobulbar injection technique for ocular surgery and analgesia in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006; 229: 220-225.
12. Accola PJ, Bentley E, Smith LJ, Forrest LJ, Baumel C, Murphy CJ. Retrobulbar injection technique and anesthesia in dogs. Proceedings from the 35th annual meeting of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists; October, 2004.