Do you have an upcoming ophthalmology consult with your dog or cat? Or are you just interested in what goes on during the exam? Well, we got our ophthalmologist, Dr. Ruth Marrion, DVM, DACVO, PhD, from Bulger Veterinary Hospital and her technician, Cat Ouellette, CVT, to let us into the exam room during a consult for Bailey the dog. There are several tests that are performed on a pet before the doctor enters the room. These help get baselines for the pet and sometimes can even diagnose an issue right on the spot. Watch the video to see Cat and Dr. Marrion perform these tests:
- Menace response- blink reflex
- Schirmer Tear Test- tear production
- Fluorescein Stain and blue light- scratches and ulcers
- Intraocular pressure (IOP)- glaucoma test
- Pupillary light response- checking for pupil constraint with light
Check out the video and feel free to contact Bulger’s ophthalmology department with any questions.