The Earth is our pet’s environment and how we treat it affects their lives. It is quite amazing to see how Mother Nature works and watch the Earth blossom after intense rainstorms. There’s a quote that says “After a storm, the flowers bloom.” And that is evident here in SoCal as we see the California Superbloom!
The “super bloom” occurs after the state experiences large amounts of rain, in turn making it possible for a wider array of wildflowers to begin blossoming. And now that the weather is starting to warm up and the rain is beginning to slow down, more of us are starting to go outside with our pets.
As exciting as it is to head outside without the wetness, it’s important to protect both our pets & our environment.
Here are a few safety reminders as you enjoy the outdoors with your pup:
Protecting Our Pets
- Look out for foxtails & other dangers, such as wildlife, as the weather starts to warm up.
- Keep your pup leashed. This can help prevent many dangers like listed about and unknown injuries. If they’re not leashed, at least make sure they are obedient of voice commands and you always have sight of them.
- Hydrate! Always be prepared to have enough water for both yourself & your pup.
Protecting Our Earth
- Do your duty! Scoop the poop – waste from any living-being releases harmful pathogens which can contaminate water resources. Double dooty: use biodegradable waste bags.
- Respect the wildlife. The earth is their only home, and we are a guest in their space. Be mindful of your pup’s action.
- Do not go off the marked path. Traveling off trail can have huge impacts on the wildlife and the vegetation. In this case, the wild flowers! Please respect where the vegetation lives and watch where you & your pup step. We want to keep them alive and the Earth looking beautiful!
Written by: Emma Olson, ER Vet Assistant